Looking for the perfect treadmill to elevate your fitness routine? Look no further! Express Fitness Urban is your premier destination for high-quality home and commercial treadmills in South Africa.
Need some guidance?
Let one of our friendly Product Specialists help you find the right equipment.
Benefits of a Treadmill
- Cardiovascular Health
A treadmill provides an efficient aerobic workout which ensures your heart rate is elevated and stays that way. With each session on the treadmill, you work on enhancing your heart health, bringing down your risk of heart disease and lowering your blood pressure significantly. It transforms your workout into a substantial cardiovascular activity, emphasising overall heart wellness and stamina.
- Increased Muscle Strength
Treadmills work wonders for building muscle strength, specifically in your legs, hips, and core. When you variate and increase the incline on your treadmill, you target and engage different muscles in your legs leading to increased toning and strength over time. A good treadmill workout routine can thus contribute to overall body strength and muscle endurance.
- Stress Relief
The treadmill isn’t just a fitness instrument; it’s also a stress-busting station. Exercise is well known to combat stress and uplift your mood, and a great sweat session on the treadmill can trigger a release of endorphins – your body’s natural happy hormone, promoting a sense of well-being and positivity around your mental health.
- Injury Prevention
Treadmills are uniquely designed to facilitate a healthy exercise routine that upholds your fitness without straining your joints. The cushioned surface of a treadmill offers an indulgent comfort during your workout, reducing the impact on your joints, and thus, the risk of sustaining injuries.
The convenience of owning a treadmill is clearly one of its best perks. As an indoor exercise machine, a treadmill frees you from the limits of bad weather or outdoor safety issues.This means you can start your fitness journey at any chosen time, without leaving your house or travelling to a gym or park.
- Controlled Environment
A treadmill workout is under your complete control. You have the power to tailor the speed, incline, and intensity of your workout to suit your specific fitness goals. The easy control options on a treadmill help you progressively increase your workout intensity, making it simpler to track your progress and continually challenge yourself.
Running on a treadmill is a safer option compared to running on hard surfaces like streets or pavements. Treadmills provide a cushioning effect that minimises the impact on your joints, aiding in injury prevention. Many treadmills also come integrated with safety features such as emergency stop buttons and handrails to avoid any unforeseen mishaps.
- Variety of Workouts
Treadmills offer a lot of workout options, including interval training, hill simulations, and pre-set workouts, making your fitness routine varied and exciting. This variety helps fight the boredom of repetitiveness and boosts your motivation to continue a regular exercise routine.
- Tracking and Monitoring
Most modern treadmills come equipped with tracking technology that records your distance, speed, heart rate, and calories burned. This feature allows you to monitor your ongoing progress and adjust your workout accordingly. Some treadmills also integrate with fitness apps or wearable devices for detailed workout insights and tracking.
- Weight Loss and Cardiovascular Health
The regular use of a treadmill is an effective method of managing weight and fostering increased cardiovascular health. Treadmill workouts raise your heart rate, burn calories, and boost lung and heart functions. It’s a proactive way to reduce the risk of chronic ailments including heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.
Why own a Treadmill
- Convenience: You can train whenever you want to in the privacy of your own environment without having to go to a gym and be exposed to the traffic.
- You only have your initial set up costs, thereafter it’s all free.
- The weather has no effect on your ability to train.
- Space and size: The size of your room or gym is imperative to understand how a treadmill will fit in. Ensure that the dimensions of the treadmill fit the space effectively. Also consider the size of the running deck, especially if you have a longer stride length.
- Usage and goals: Determine your fitness or exercise plan and goals as well as knowing how often you plan to use the treadmill. For intense workouts or long-distance running, consider a treadmill with a powerful motor and sturdy construction.
- Motor power: A treadmill’s horsepower influences its performance. The higher horsepower motor allows for smooth and quiet operation, especially when training at high speeds or with incline options.
- Speed and incline range: Determine the maximum speed and incline levels of the treadmill. A high-intensity workouts or simulated outdoor terrain, you will need a treadmill with a higher speed and incline range.
- Cushioning and shock absorption: Sufficient cushioning or shock absorption system gives greater comfort to minimize the impact on your joints. This is especially important if you have joint problems or are prone to injuries.
- Console and built-in features: An easy-to-use console that provides essential information like speed, time, distance, and calories burned is best. Additional features that are good to have as built-in workout programs include, heart rate monitoring, connectivity options, and entertainment options can enhance your workout experience.
- Safety features: Ensure that the treadmill has safety features like emergency stop buttons, handrails, and safety clips to prevent accidents or injuries.
- Price and warranty: Set a budget and compare the prices of different treadmills within your budget. Check the warranty provided, specifically the coverage for the motor, parts, and labour.
- Noise level: Avoid a noisy treadmill. Look for one that operates quietly, especially if you plan to use it in a shared living space.
- User weight capacity: Check the maximum weight capacity of the treadmill and ensure it can accommodate the weight of all the people using it.
By considering these factors, you can select a treadmill that suits your needs, space, and budget while providing a comfortable and effective workout experience.
What to look out for when buying a Treadmill
- Consider the Space and Size of the Treadmill
The first aspect to consider when you’re planning to buy a treadmill is the space available in your room or gym. Bear in mind that a treadmill needs to fit comfortably into the room without cramping it, so take time to measure your available space accurately.It’s also important to consider the size of the treadmill’s running deck. If you’re taller or have a longer stride, you’ll need a treadmill with a larger deck to accommodate your stride length comfortably.
- Identify Your Usage and Goals
Your fitness goals and how you plan to use your treadmill can significantly impact the type of treadmill you need. If it’s primarily for walking or light jogging, a basic model may suffice. However, if your fitness plan involves intense workouts or long-distance running, opt for a treadmill with a robust motor and sturdy construction that can withstand the increased demand.Moreover, factor in how often you plan to use the treadmill. If it’s going to be a part of your daily routine, it’s worth investing in a more durable model to ensure longevity.
- Understand Treadmill Motor Power
The motor power of a treadmill, often described in terms of horsepower, plays a significant role in its performance. For a smooth, quiet operation, especially when training at high speeds or on an incline, opt for a treadmill with higher horsepower.
- 2.0 CHP – Best for walking and light jogging.
- 2.5 CHP – Best for regular jogging.
- 3.0 CHP – Best for regular running.
- 4.0+ CHP – Best for regular, extra-long and high-speed running.
- Check the Speed and Incline Range
Think about your workout style and the variety you want in your routine. If you’re a fan of high-intensity workouts or like to simulate outdoor terrain, a treadmill with a wider speed and incline range will be necessary.
- Prioritise Cushioning and Shock Absorption
The quality of the treadmill’s cushioning or shock absorption system can greatly affect your workout experience. A treadmill with sufficient cushioning minimises the impact on your joints, a vital factor if you have pre-existing joint issues or are prone to injury.
- Examine the Console and Built-in Features
Look for an easy-to-use console that displays essential workout metrics like speed, time, distance, and calories burned. Additional desirable features include built-in workout programs, heart rate monitoring, connectivity options, and entertainment facilities. These aids can greatly enhance your workout comfort and effectiveness.
- Safety Features Matter
Remember that any exercise equipment can pose a risk if used improperly. Thus, ensure that the treadmill you choose has safety measures like emergency buttons, handrails, and safety clips. A reliable treadmill should prioritise your safety at all times.
- Set a Budget and Check the Warranty
Once you’ve identified your needs, set a budget. Compare prices, features, and user reviews of various treadmills in your budget range. Don’t forget to check the warranty period. Generally, a longer warranty on the motor and parts signifies better durability. Also, consider the coverage offered on labour costs.
- Noise Level is Important
Your treadmill should not disrupt the peace of your home or gym. An overly noisy treadmill can disturb those around you and become a hindrance to your workout enjoyment.
- Check the User Weight Capacity
Finally, verify the maximum weight capacity of the treadmill. Ensure it can comfortably accommodate your weight and those of any others who plan to use it.
By considering each of these factors diligently, you can choose a treadmill that fits your needs, space, and budget perfectly, ensuring a comfortable and efficient workout experience tailored for you.
What is the difference between Spirit XT185 and Spirit XT285 treadmills?
What are the benefits of using a treadmill?
Can I use a treadmill if I have joint issues?
How do I maintain my treadmill?
How much space do I need for a treadmill at home?
What is the ideal treadmill for beginners?
What are some of the features to look for in a treadmill for a home gym?
- Belt Size
- Console operation
- Heart rate monitor
Don’t let poor fitness equipment or tight budgets hold you back from reaching your fitness goals.
Our personalised service model enables you to reach your fitness goals and have fun, using a hand-picked personal home gym solution to build strength, endurance and confidence.
Over 50 years combined industry experience
Our product specialists have over 50 years of experience in fitness solutions, giving you access to the best quality fitness equipment and advice across Africa.
International award-winning equipment
We supply the best quality, IEC-certified fitness equipment brands that have won various international awards in their categories
0% return rate on our equipment
We’re rooting for you. Get a team of dedicated product specialists in your corner, during and ater the purchase of your fitness equipment.