What is TRX Suspension Training ?
Posted on April 12 2018
TRX Suspension Training – What’s the Fuss about?
TRX suspension training has been around for a long time. It is pretty much in every gym across the country, no matter how big or small, there is most likely a TRX.
You have probably seen one at your gym. Personal trainers use it with their clients, the odd group class will include it and every now and then you see a member using it.
It is also widely recognised internationally and has been associated with many professional sports leagues, teams and professional sports athletes. For these big franchises to endorse the product, it must mean they are doing something right.
So what IS all the fuss about?
The idea of the TRX was conceived back in 1997, a NAVY Seal Squadron Commander, Randy Hetrick, needed to keep himself and his fellow SEALs in top physical condition while being deployed. He created the first TRX out of a Jiu Jitsu belt and parachute webbing.
The first version of the TRX Suspension Trainer was developed in 2001. It took 5 years to hit the international market and by 2009, the TRX Suspension trainer had over 1 million users in 60 different countries.
Now that I have given you a small history lesson, let’s quickly have a chat about what the TRX suspension trainer really is. The TRX suspension trainer is a workout system that leverages gravity and your body weight to perform hundreds of exercises.
And don’t let the word “workout system” make you think the TRX is a large piece of exercise equipment. It really isn’t. It consists of a main strap and anchor strap. Over all it weighs around 1kg.
The TRX sets up the perfect environment for you to learn movement and to train at the best of your ability.
When you need to progress your training, you adjust your intensity with a simple change in your body position and challenge yourself even more. -Ultimately, at the end of the day, you are in full control of how hard you train.
Personally, there are lots of things that I love about the TRX. (I can mention them all but you will be reading this blog for a couple of days so I’ll just highlight a few.)
- As I mentioned, you are in control of your workout and the TRX can be used with anyone and everyone. If you have just started training, training towards a goal or a professional sports person, the TRX is a great tool to use.
- It really makes training simple. TRX has a simplified approach to training and it is based on the 7 fundamental movements. That is your Push, Pull, Plank, Rotation, Hinge, Lunge and Squat.
- You can choose what you want to train, be it isolated training (biceps and triceps), core specific or full body conditioning workout.
- The TRX can be used for all types of training goals. Whether you are trying to lose weight, get toned, build strength or improve your heart health, you can use the TRX to help you get there.
- All core all the time. If we didn’t have core strength we would fall down and not function. The TRX makes you engage you core in all of the movements performed. No matter what exercise you do, movement you perform or body part you train, the TRX makes you use and engage your core.
One of the last reasons I love the TRX is because you can do it anywhere. You don’t have to go to the gym. The TRX can be set up anywhere. At home, in the park, or even in the office. When it is packed away in its bag, it is smaller than a pair of workout shoes. So it really is a portable gym that you can take anywhere you go, including your beach holiday.
If you ask me for advice on what to buy first for your home gym, I always suggest the TRX.